Department of Management, School of Economics and Management, Xidian University
2 South Taibai Road, Xi’an, China
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +86 29 81891363; Cell phone: +86 15929307349
Ph.D. Applied Mathematics Xidian University, China 2004
ME Applied Economics Xi’an Jiaotong University, China 1998
BE Information and Control EngineeringXi’an Jiaotong University, China 1990
Academic Positions Held
Xidian University, Vice Dean (for research, international cooperation and exchange, and postgraduate education), School of Economics and Management, 2013 – present
Xidian University, Full Professor, Dept. of Management, 2007 – present
Xidian University, Associate Professor, Dept. of Management, 2003 – 2007
Xidian University, Lecturer, Dept. of Management, 1999-2003
Xidian University, Assistant Lecturer, Dept. of Management, 1998-1999
Xi’an Petroleum Exploration & Instrument Co., Assistant Engineer, Computing Center, 1990-1995
International Academic Experience
Georgia State University, USA. Visiting Professor, Dept. of Computer Information Systems, March – August, 2012.
University College Dublin, Ireland, Visiting Professor, Dept. of MIS, July – August, 2011
Brunel University, UK, Visiting Professor, Dept. of IS and Computing, August – September, 2010
University College Dublin, Ireland, Visiting Professor, Dept. of MIS, Dec. 2006 – Dec. 2007
Carnegie Mellon University, US, Visiting Researcher, Dept. of Social & Decision Sciences, July – August, 2006
Cross-cultural Management (for international students)
Management Research Methods (for Ph.D students)
Knowledge Management in Multinational Corporations (for postgraduate students)
Organizational Behavior & Human Resource Management (for MBA students)
Fundamentals of Management (for undergraduate students)
Membership of Professional Bodies
International Society for Knowledge and Systems Sciences, council member
Association for Information Systems (AIS), member
Academy of Management (AOM), member
Irish Journal of Management, member of editorial board
International Journal of Knowledge and Systems Science, member of review board
Information Systems Journal, reviewer
International Journal of Information Technology and Decision Making, reviewer
Clients have included 1) Chinese organizations, such as administrative centers for Zhongguancui Software Park, Pudong Software Park, and Xi’an Software Park, and the companies in the three parks; 2) Limerick/Shannon China Business Foundation, Ireland.
My research interests include knowledge management, online marketing, and cross-cultural management. I concentrated my early work on the applications of mathematics to decision-making in management, but have gradually focused more on the quantitative study of knowledge management and cross-cultural management in organizational contexts, specifically concerned with the issues of knowledge sharing and trust in the context of global IT sourcing. In previous research, I have investigated the intra-organizational knowledge sharing in multiunit organizations and cross-boundary knowledge sharing in strategic alliances. Currently, I am conducting three streams of joint research respectively with Professor Cathal Brugha of University College Dublin in the Inter-cultural trust project, with Dr Pamela Abbott of Brunel University in CIGREF Foundation granted project “Globally distributed innovation and co-creation of value”, and with Professor Detmar Straub of Georgia State University in cross-cultural issues in IS/IT.
Selected Research Projects
Study of information feedback in electronic commerce platforms considering seller’s strategic choice and consumer’s perception variation, granted by Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant No. 71771184, 2018-2021. Principle Investigator: Du, Rong.
- Knowledge Sharing between Supplier and Client in Global Sourcing of IT Services, granted by Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant No. 71271164, 2013-2016. Principle Investigator: Du, Rong.
- Knowledge Chain Management in Outsourcing, March-August, 2012. Principle Investigator: Professor Detmar Straub, Georgia State University, US. International collaborator: Du, Rong
- Inter-organizational Cross-boundary Knowledge Sharing in Strategic Alliances, granted by Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant No. 70871096, 2009-2011. Principle Investigator: Du, Rong.
- Knowledge Sharing and Intercultural Trust in Outsourcing and Offshoring, granted by the New Century Excellent Talents Supporting Program, the Ministry of Education of China (Grant No. NCET-08-0812), 2009-2011. Principle Investigator: Du, Rong.
- Globally Distributed Innovation and Co-creation of Value: Cases of UK-China Collaborations. 2011-2012, CIGREF Foundation, Europe. Principle Investigator: Dr. Pamela Abbott, Brunel University, UK. International collaborator: Du, Rong
- Inter-Cultural Trust Project: To Test Variations in Trust within Relationship Management between China and English Speaking Countries in Western Europe. 2006-2007.Principle Investigator: Prof. Cathal Brugha,University College Dublin, Ireland.Chief Researcher: Du,Rong.
- Intra-organizational Knowledge Sharing in Multiunit Organizations, granted by Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant No. 70471068, 2005-2007. Principle Investigator: Du, Rong.
- Intra- and Inter-group Knowledge Sharing in Multiunit Organizations with the Assistance of Transactive Memory, International Cooperation and Exchange Project granted by Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant No. 70610107001, 2006-2007. Principle Investigator: Du, Rong. International collaborator: Ren, Yuqing, Carnegie Mellon University, US.
Peer reviewed articles published in international journals:
- Chen Chen, Rong Du, Jin Li, and Weiguo Fan. The Impacts of knowledge sharing-based value co-creation on user continuance in online communities, Information Discovery and Delivery, 2017, Vol. 45, No.4.
- Rong Du, Lili Liu, Detmar W. Straub, Michael B Knight. Impact of espoused national cultural values on innovative behavior: an empirical study in Chinese IT service industry, Journal of Asia Pacific Business Review. 2016 (doi:10.1080/13602381.2016.1156907)
- Shizhong Ai, Rong Du, Cathal M. Brugha, Hongpeng Wang. Pointing to Priorities for Multiple Criteria Decision Making: The Case of a MIS-Based Project in China, International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making, 2016, Vol.15
- Lili Liu, Rong Du, Weiguo Fan. How members’ commitment to an online knowledge community influences their usage behavior, Social Behavior and Personality: an international journal, 2016, 44 (4), pp. 693-704.
- Wang Y., Du R., Koong K. S., et al. Effects of R&D Policy Choice on Accounting Performance and Market Value [J]. R & D Management, 2016, DOI: 10.1111/radm.12225.
- Davison, R., Ou, C., Martinson, M., Zhao, A., and Du, R. The Communicative Ecology of Web 2.0 at Work: Social Networking in the Workspace. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 2014, 65(10), 2035-2047.
- Abbott, P., Zheng, Y., Du, R., and Willcocks, L. From Boundary Spanning to Creolization: A Study of Chinese Software and Services Outsourcing Vendors. Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 2013, 22(2), 121-136. (Won AIS 2014 Best Publications Award and JSIS 2013 Best Paper Award)
- Abbott, P., Zheng, Y., and Du, R. Innovation through collaborative partnerships: creating the MSN News for iPad app at VanceInfo Technologies. Journal of Information Technology Teaching Cases. 2013, (1), 1-13.
- Du, R., Ai, S., and Straub, DW. Impacts of Creolization on Trust and Knowledge Sharing in IT-enabled Global Services Sourcing, Thirty Fourth International Conference on Information Systems, ICIS 2013, Milan, Italy, December 15-18, 2013. Association for Information Systems 2013.
- Du, R., Ai, S., and Straub, DW. Measuring creolization in IT-enabled global services sourcing. Joey, F. George (Eds.), Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems, ICIS 2012, Orlando, USA, December 16-19, 2012. Association for Information Systems 2012, ISBN 978-0-615-71843-9, 2012.
- Ai, S., Du, R., Abbott, P., and Zheng, Y. (2012) Internal and Contextual Factors, Knowledge Processes and Performance: from the Chinese Provider's Perspective. Expert Systems With Applications. 39(4), 4464-4472.
- Du, R., Ai, S., Abbott, P. and Zheng, Y. (2011) Contextual Factors, Knowledge Processes and Performance in Global Sourcing of IT Services: An Investigation in China, Journal of Global Information Management, 19(2), 1-26.
- Du, R., Ai, S. and Brugha, C.M. (2011) Integrating Taoist Yin-Yang Thinking with Western Nomology: A Moderating Model of Trust in Conflict Management, Chinese Management Studies, 5(1), 55-67.
- Ai, S., Du, R., and Hu, Q. (2010) Dynamic optimal budget allocation for integrated marketing considering persistence. International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making, 9(5), 1-22.
- Du, R. and Ai, S. (2008) Cross-Organizational Knowledge Acquisition through Flexible Hiring and Joint R&D: Insights from a Survey in China, Expert Systems With Applications, 35(1-2), 434-441.
- Brugha, C.M., Du, R. and Ai, S. (2008) An Integrated Knowledge Management Development System (IKMDS), International Journal of Knowledge and Systems Sciences, 5(1), 1-12.
- Du, R. and Ai, S. and Ren, Y. (2007) Relationship between Knowledge Sharing and Performance: A Survey in Xi'an, China, Expert Systems With Applications, 32(1), 38-46.
- Du, R., Ai, S. and Hu, Q. (2007) Stochastic Optimal Budget Decision for Advertising Considering Uncertain Sales Responses, European Journal of Operational Research, 183(3), 1042-1054.
- Du, R., Ai, S. and Hu, N. (2007) Interpersonal Trust and Its Impacts on Knowledge Transfer Within Alliances, International Journal of Knowledge and Systems Sciences, 4(1), 44-50.
- Du, R., Ai, S., Cui, X., Rong, X., and Lu, J. (2005) Overcoming Internal Knowledge Search through Firm-Institute Alliances: A Survey of Knowledge Flow in Xi’an, China, International Journal of Knowledge and Systems Sciences. 2(4), 33-41.
- Julia Kotlarsky, Rong Du. How creative and innovative can technology “made in China” be? September 7, 2017. http://www.intelligentsourcing.net/how-creative-and-innovative-can-be-technology-made-in-china/
- Julia Kotlarsky, Rong Du. How creative and innovative can technology made in China be? China's IT industry is becoming more Silicon Valley-like and, as a result, more attractive to the CIOs of western enterprises. August 11, 2017. http://www.computerweekly.com/opinion/How-creative-and-innovative-can-technology-made-in-China-be
Awards & Honors
Third Award of Excellent Scientific Research Achievements, awarded by the Government of Xian City, 2010
First Award of Excellent Scientific Research Achievements, awarded by the Department of Education, Shaanxi Province, 2009
Scholar selected into the New Century’s Excellent Talent Supporting Program by the Ministry of Education in China, 2008.
“Top Ten Outstanding Women”, awarded by Xidian University, 2006
“Huawei Teaching and Research Foundation for Graduate School Teachers”, awarded by Xidian University, 2005
Third Award of Excellent Teaching Achievements, awarded by Xidian University, 2004
“Top Ten Outstanding Young Researchers”, awarded by Xidian University, 2003
"Cross-cultural processes in the Chinese offshoring industry and impacts of espoused national cultural values on innovation in IT-enabled global sourcing", Georgia State University，USA, August, 2016
What is going on with blockchain in China? Issues about cross-boundary trust and governance, University College Dublin，Ireland, December, 2016
“From Boundary Spanning to Creolization: An Empirical Study of Cross-cultural Processes’ Role in Gobal Sourcing of IT Services”, Georgia State University, USA, December, 2012
“Contextual Factors, Knowledge Processes and Performance in Global Sourcing of IT Services: An Investigation in China”, Brunel University, UK, September, 2010.